Monday, July 2, 2012

the sketchbook series

CONTINUES . . . 


the two stages / sketch to ink on canvas and then color

sketch to painting
finished my dried rose sketch . . . like the others . . . then went on to do one of my favorite sketches . . . my walking wood penguin.  i do love my wind-up toys and this one i enjoyed sketching !  but while i was working on my penguin i started another . . .this time i used my printer . . . i took an 18"x 24" charcoal  drawing of
drawing to painting
a t-shirt and shrunk it down using the computer and transferred it to a to a 9"x12" canvas using transfer artist paper.  i then painted on top of the transfer with a mixture of glazes and opaque acrylics . . . i added two shades of lighter grays and revisited the shadows with a black and burnt umber for depth of darkness and warmth.  the gray i used was paynes grey with white and glazed with a cad orange . . . the lighter shades were just a mix of the three . . . NOTE: part of the canvas was cut off in the scan.

so the problems with this work that ended up guiding me to the finished project . . .

one was the TAP . . . transfer artist paper still came off in spots so i definitely could not draw directly on top . . so i layered with paint . . .  i actually like the transfer with just a simple acrylic glaze on top . . .  if i was a photographer i may have left it at that but for me it was
                                                    lacking  . . . that is for my own personal work it was lacking.

so i have extended my sketchbook series to include drawings and other mediums to make them part of a final work . . . it is fun to use my sketchbooks and drawings that fill my shelfs to explore other styles and mediums !!




No comments:

Post a Comment